Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Swimming Pool Q's and Woodstock 94

Transcript of an online chat:

!elbakrameR: is that all the swimming pool Q's ya got?
T: Thats pretty much all there is.
T: After Anne left, Jeff did WW2.5 and "Firing Squad for God"
!elbakrameR: I know. I'm looking for stuff from The Deep End
T: Hmmmm.
T: Try their web site
!elbakrameR: they have a website??
T: www.swimmingpoolqs.com
!elbakrameR: wow...really/
T: everybodys got a web site
eR: i did a search. all i got was a lame bio and discography
eR: yeah, point taken :)
eR: so, how do you know of them?
T: jimmycarlblack terryreid jackbruce
T: all my obscure favorites, thejudys, thespuds
T:
eR: dwightyoakam robertearlkeen kellywillis
T: How do I know them?
eR: the q's
T: I went to USC columbia 78-82, they used to play al the time
time
eR: ah... I live in Atlanta
T: After The Deep End, before the other two.
eR: you're just a tad older than i, but, i grew up on 'em
T: SPQ is a magnificent album.
eR: yes indeed
T: I had to reevaluate everything recently.
eR: i have deep and spq on vinyl...
eR: no turntable anymore, tho
T: I asked my wife to have a freind make me a tape.
T: He included all the lyrics.
eR: stick in my hand is the %#@!ing ULTIMATE song
T: I (naively) thought Anne wrote or contributed to her songs.
T: Nope.
T: Jeff was a puppetmaster.
eR: yeah, it's all jeff and sometimes Bob
T: Right.
T: But the lyrics were Jeff's
eR: yeah
eR: I used to hang out with them
T: My faves are PULL BACK MY SPRING and She's
Brining Down the Poison.
T: Cool.
eR: good friends w/ JE until he joined ARS
eR: I like all of Deep End
T: Story time.
eR: and, i don't think Stingray and Make me Bigger ever made it to a record
T: I was going to Woodstock 94, driving from MN to Ontario to Lake Placid to Woodstock.
eR: but those also rock
eR: yeah...?
T: Let me tell you this story.
T: I'm describing my travels to friends and passersby on the road,
eR: go on...
T: just dropping , oh yeah, visit grandpa, then we'll be three days in woodstock, then take the kids
T: to see grandma, just drop it in.
T: OK, I'm at Lake Placid, at the beach, with my 18month old daughter,
T: hanging out with the moms.
T: Schmoozing and low-intensity flirting.
eR: : )
T: So I describe my itinerary to one mom,
T: " and then stop by Woodstock 94..."
T: She says, Oh, my band is playing there.
eR: NAW!!!!
T: My jaw dropped.
T: I'm going thru the index cards in my mind.
T: Is she somebody famous?
T:
T: Not really. She and her sister were an Indigo-girls style band
T: they were playing between the acts on the main stage,
A big revolving contraption that allowed small acts 20 minutes
while the big boys set up on one-third and the previous act broke down
their stage on the remaining third.
T: Disappear Fear! was the name they went by.
T: OK what does this have to do with SPQ?
T: After she revealed her secret identity,
eR: did Rob produce them?
eR: I dunno. I've heard the name b4
T: we got to talking bands.
T: I brought up the subject "Female Singers who can Really Sing"
T: We mention Annie Lennox, dismiss Linda Ronstadt and Madonna,
T: some others, I say Oh yeah, Anne Richmond Boston. Great Alto!
T: She says, funny you should mention her, I just was with her last weekend in Atlanta.
T: Jaw drops again.
T:
eR: who was the chick??
T: At this point, I'm half starstruck and half suspicious that I've met a master BS artist.
T:
T: Well I make it to Woodstock, park the wife and kids with her old college roommate
T: (not really a roommate, just somebody who shared a suite with her for half a semester
T: but my wife kept on the XMAS card list all these years. )
T: I get up early Saturday and do a little reconnaissance, hop the fence
T: and go in the backstage restricted area passes only.
T: Have a fun time playing French Resistance fighter behind enemy lines,
eR: : )
T: casually hiding from the guards.
eR: like snoopy
T: listened to Joe ^^!$er (Joe Cocker's name censored by chatbot)
from behind the stage, couldn't see a thing.
T:
T: OK
T: I see this line of band members and roadies in black t-shirts snake by.
T: squint to read the type: disappear fear.
T: ^@&@, she told the truth.
T: didn't interrupt them, as they were getting ready to go on
T: and having chatted in bathing suits, knee-deep in water is not a strong enough
T: connection to interrupt a performer just before she's getting ready to appear
T: before a quarter of a million people.
T:
T: thats the story.
eR: what was her name??
T: dont remember. I think i have the cd over here brb.
T: sonia or cindy, i don't remember which sister i spoke to.
eR: well, i know of the band. I've seen ads in Creative loafing...
eR: dunno nothing about the music, tho

1 comment:

  1. Much later, I stumbled on to the disappearfear.com website. I dug up this transcript and sent it to Sonya and Cindy. Cindy vaguely remembered Lake Placid and both heartily agreed that interrupting them on their way on-stage would have been a major faux pas.

    ReplyDelete